When you need to go shopping, meet friends for dinner, or catch a show at the Moody Amphitheater and you don’t have a car, you’re likely going to fire up your smartphone and schedule an Uber or Lyft. It’s quick, convenient, and, in a lot of cases, less expensive than a taxi.
Ridesharing apps haven’t been around for long, but in a few short years, they have taken the world by storm, providing affordable transportation for riders and a new income stream for drivers. Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare companies employ as many as 1.7 million drivers across the country, and approximately rideshare drivers provide nearly two million rides each day worldwide.
However, ridesharing apps have raised liability questions when an accident occurs, so if you’ve been seriously injured while traveling in an Uber or Lyft, get a free consultation with an Austin Uber accident attorney at the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS.
We Are Uniquely Qualified to Handle Your Ridesharing Accident Case
- At Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, we only practice personal injury law. We understand the unique concerns inherent in rideshare accident cases and know how to recognize the right route to compensation.
- We are determined to win and have a 99% success rate. Over the years, we have recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
- We understand how a serious accident impacts your life and will go the extra mile to secure the compensation you need. You only pay your Austin car crash lawyer if we win your case.
Who is Liable in an Austin Rideshare Accident?
Unlike most car accidents, rideshare accidents aren’t always clear-cut in terms of liability. In Texas, if there are any damages, the at-fault driver is normally responsible. This can, however, change depending on whether they were working at the time of the crash. Both Uber and Lyft require drivers to have their own personal auto insurance and will provide coverage under certain conditions.
Uber Insurance Coverage
Uber’s insurance coverage will vary depending on the driver’s status at the time of the accident.
- If the Uber app is off, you seek compensation from the driver’s auto insurance policy.
- If the app is on and the driver is accepting rides, Uber’s contingent liability coverage covers injuries and property damage sustained by other parties. There is a maximum of $100,000 for injuries ($50,000 per person) and $25,000 for property damage. If the Uber driver is injured or their vehicle is damaged, they must access their personal insurance policy.
- If the driver has accepted a ride or has a passenger in their vehicle, Uber’s commercial insurance covers up to $1 million for property damage and bodily injury per accident and another $1 million if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured. Your Austin Uber accident attorney can file this claim on your behalf while you recover.
Lyft Insurance Coverage
Like Uber, Lyft’s insurance covers injured passengers or motorists under specific conditions:
- If the Lyft app is off when the accident occurs, the driver’s own auto insurance policy pays for any injuries and property damage. Your Austin Lyft accident attorney will explain whether this option applies to your case.
- If the app is on and the driver is waiting for a match, their own insurance will apply to any accident unless their insurer refuses to cover it. Should that happen, Lyft’s policy will cover a maximum of $100,000 for injuries ($50,000 per person) and $25,000 for property damage.
- If the driver has accepted a ride or has a passenger in their vehicle, Lyft’s commercial insurance covers up to $1 million for property damage and bodily injury per accident.
Your Austin rideshare accident lawyer will investigate your car accident to confirm whether the driver’s or the company’s insurer is responsible for compensating you and present your claim accordingly.
What to Do If You Are in a Rideshare Accident in Austin, TX
To get maximum compensation in the event of an Uber or Lyft accident, take the following steps:
- Seek Medical Care: After a rideshare accident, seek medical attention immediately. Make sure you see a doctor even if you don’t feel like you’ve been hurt. Symptoms of some injuries do not appear until hours or even days after the crash. Putting off medical treatment may jeopardize your claim.
- Call the Police: Any accident involving a rideshare vehicle must be reported to the police. They will conduct an investigation and provide you with an accident report, which is valuable evidence in a claim.
- Collect Evidence at the Scene: While you’re waiting for the police and an ambulance to arrive, collect evidence to support your claim. This includes the driver’s license and insurance information, photos and videos of the accident scene, and contact information for any eyewitnesses.
- Notify the Rideshare Company: When you use a rideshare service, you will be able to notify the company of any accident through the app. It is important that you do so as soon as possible.
- Call a Lawyer: Contact an Austin rideshare accident lawyer right away. A lawyer can collect all the evidence necessary to confirm driver liability. They will then negotiate with the insurance carrier for your financial compensation and take your case to trial if necessary.
Is There an Average Rideshare Accident Settlement?
Every case is unique, so there is no average settlement for Uber or Lyft accidents. How much money you receive will mainly depend on how badly you were injured, the impact of the accident on your ability to work and enjoy life, and whether you will need ongoing medical care.
In most cases, you can seek both economic and non-economic damages. Economic losses, which are quantifiable by receipts, pay stubs, and other records, include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Rehabilitative costs
- Prescription medication
- Property damage
Non-economic damages address the other losses you’ve suffered due to your injuries, like pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and mental anguish. Your Austin Uber accident attorney will assign a value to your claim, file it within the two-year statute of limitations, and negotiate with the insurer for the settlement you need to cover your medical care and take care of your family while you recover.
Get a Free Consultation with an Austin Uber Accident Attorney
At Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, our experienced team of personal injury lawyers will work tirelessly to ensure you receive a fair settlement that meets your current and future needs. We have the experience, skills, and resources to fight for your right to compensation following an Uber or Lyft accident.
Our attorneys have years of experience negotiating and winning significant compensation packages for clients, and we leave no stone unturned in protecting their financial interests. To schedule your free consultation with an Austin rideshare accident lawyer, call (512) 800-0000 or contact us online.