Free Consultation (210) 777-4878
if we don’t win, we don’t get paid. Free Consultation
Free Consultation
Villarreal & Begum Last Updated Date: May 23rd, 2023

Different Types of Car Insurance


The process of picking out car insurance can get confusing. You can be exposed to a bunch of options, and have salespeople breathing down your neck, trying to convince you to get certain plans. Here we’ll explain the difference in each type of plan so you can understand your insurance options.

Liability Coverage

Liability insurance applies to injuries or property damage incurred by other people in a car accident that you caused. Most liability policies cover two main parts. Liability for bodily injury, and liability insurance for property damage. Remember, liability insurance does not pay for your damages. It is meant to protect you against the claims of others when you cause an accident. For example, if we were distracted while driving and rear-end someone. Your liability insurance will help cover the damages you caused to the vehicle you rear-ended. Liability insurance covers medical expenses, lost wages, and car repairs.

Most states require drivers to have some kind of minimum liability coverage. In Texas, all drivers are required to have what is called 30/60/25 coverage. This means your policy needs to cover at least $30,000 per person, at least $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage.

Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Both uninsured motorists and underinsured motorists protect you directly. Uninsured coverage pays for property damage or other damages arising from an accident with an uninsured driver. It can also cover damages caused by hit-and-run drivers.  Underinsured motorist coverage is similar. However, this helps make up the difference the other driver’s policy does not cover.  For example, if your damages are $90,000, but the other driver’s policy only covers up to $60,000. Your underinsured motorist coverage will cover the difference, assuming it does not exceed the policy limits.

Is My Car Covered?

Let’s say you have a brand new car. You might want to consider making sure your car is protected.  That is what collision and comprehensive coverage is for. Collision coverage helps pays for physical damage to your car as a result of an auto collision.  Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your vehicle for most causes other than collisions. For example, damage done by a hail storm. Your comprehensive coverage will help pay for the dents or cracked windshields. It also often covers things like theft or fire.

One thing to keep in mind is your deductible. When getting insurance, you will need to determine what your deductible is. A deductible is the amount of money you agree to pay for damages before the insurance company pays anything.  Normally, the higher the deductible, the lower your monthly premium is.

San Antonio Car Crash Lawyer.

Have you or a loved one been in a serious car crash and suffered injuries? If so, you should contact an experienced Personal Injury attorney. Villarreal and Begum is a local San Antonio personal injury law firm that will fight to get you the compensation that you deserve. We serve clients all across Texas with offices in San Antonio, McAllen, and Laredo. We are available day and night to take your calls. Call or contact us today. The Law Guns will fight for you.