Some of the most dangerous places in Austin are where pedestrians and vehicles intersect. Crosswalks and intersections are the settings of dozens of serious pedestrian-vehicle collisions each year. In 2019, 2 out of every 5 people killed on Austin roads were on foot. Many of these accidents trace back to driver negligence, such as texting and driving.
If you have injuries from a car accident as a pedestrian, call the Austin pedestrian accident lawyers at Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS for a free consultation. A driver or another negligent party may owe you compensation. Our personal injury attorneys in Austin may be able to help you bring a cause of action.
Reasons Clients Choose The Texas Law Guns
- We have compassionate Texas personal injury attorneys ready to take on insurance companies and fight for fair compensation. We will do what it takes to secure full payment for your claim, even if that means going to trial.
- We use aggressive negotiation tactics to improve our chances of success. We are proud to say we have a 99% success rate and have obtained more than $500 million collectively for our past clients.
- We keep our services affordable by operating on a contingency fee basis. We will only bill you with legal fees if and when we secure a settlement or verdict on your behalf. You will pay $0 upfront.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
At the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, we support pedestrian safety in our community. We work hard to secure justice for injured pedestrians, bicyclists and other vulnerable road users in Austin. We understand how physically and emotionally devastating a pedestrian-vehicle collision can be for the pedestrian. These collisions often cause catastrophic injuries.
- Broken bones
- Lower extremity injuries
- Chest and facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck, back and spinal cord injuries
- Lacerations and road rash
- Permanent disabilities
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional injuries
A claim against the at-fault driver or another responsible party could lead to compensation to make up for serious personal injuries. According to the CDC, pedestrians aged 65 and older accounted for 20% of all pedestrian deaths, and while a settlement or verdict cannot reverse your injuries or losses, it can help you pay your bills and move forward. A compensatory award could pay for your health care, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Although preventing pedestrian accidents would be ideal, sometimes that is not possible for you to achieve. That is when it is important to take the right steps after an accident occurs.
What to Do if You Were in a Pedestrian Accident in Austin
Many pedestrian accident claims point to the liability of the driver. A driver may have to pay you for damages if the driver was negligent, reckless or wanton in causing or contributing to the crash. If a driver collided with you while you were walking or jogging in Austin, take certain steps to improve your chances of a successful case against that party:
- Remain on the ground and don’t move. When you get hit by a car while walking, there is a good chance that you receive an injury. There is plenty of adrenaline flowing through your body after you get hit by a car, so it’s important to understand that you shouldn’t just get up and start walking around. Pedestrians who get hit by vehicles have a bad habit of standing up and walking away because they feel embarrassed by the situation. This is the worst thing you can do, so stay on the ground to prevent any further injuries.
- Ask other people to protect you and call for help. If there are other people around, then they should be helping you to protect your body as you sit on the ground. Talk to all the witnesses and ask them to block off the area to make sure that no cars cause any further damage. These people are also helpful so that they can call the paramedics, police, and anyone else who needs to come help you.
- Call the police to report the pedestrian accident. Most pedestrian accidents are serious enough to warrant a phone call to the police immediately. Calling 911 may be a legal requirement. It could also help you document the collision.
- Gather as much information as you can from witnesses. Holding someone liable for a traffic accident requires proof of negligence and causation. Collect information such as photos, names, numbers and eyewitness information. This contact information allows your personal injury lawyer to piece together all the evidence and get you the compensation you deserve for being a victim of someone else’s negligence. You also might want to give out your contact info to other people.
- Be careful when talking to insurance claims adjusters. A common mistake pedestrians make is to apologize for the collision or admit fault. Do not admit any fault during insurance negotiations. Wait for the results of an investigation to assign fault instead.
Next, contact the attorneys at the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS for a free pedestrian accident case review. We can take action immediately to improve your chances of successfully securing compensation, including collecting police reports and medical records. We can help you identify the defendant, collect any evidence as to fault or negligence, and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf.
Call Our Austin Pedestrian Lawyers for a Free Consultation
Most pedestrian-vehicle collisions are preventable. Distracted, reckless, aggressive and negligent drivers may fail to see and/or yield to pedestrians. At the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, our pedestrian and car accident attorneys in Austin help pedestrians seek justice and maximum compensation after accidents. Find out how the Texas Law Guns can help you today. Call (512) 800-0000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.