With over 900,000 residents, Austin is the fourth-largest city in Texas. This means that at any given time, thousands of cars are traveling on the roads and highways in and around Austin. High levels of traffic congestion, combined with unsafe actions like drunk or distracted driving, resulted in 12,433 traffic accidents in 2021.
While many of these collisions were fender-benders, others caused serious injury and death. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 113 people were killed and 8,734 injured in Austin car accidents in 2021.
Car accident injuries take a huge toll on multiple levels: physically, emotionally, and financially. Something as severe as a spinal cord injury or traumatic brain injury could leave you with high medical bills and no way to work to support your family. You’re likely going to wonder how much money you can expect to receive in compensation- what are the average car accident settlements in Austin, TX?
As it turns out, every case is unique, so there are no average car accident settlements in Austin as such. The amount you receive in a settlement or award will mainly depend on the value of your accident-related losses, both current and future. A diligent car accident lawyer at the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, will fight for the money you need to rebuild your life after a serious crash.
Why Hire the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, to Settle Your Austin Car Accident Claim?
The right lawyer can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case after an accident. The Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, is uniquely qualified to help you recover full and fair compensation.
- With our knowledge of Texas auto insurance and accident laws, we have been able to achieve the best results for our clients. We have obtained multi-million dollar verdicts for especially serious cases.
- You are our priority. You can always contact us with any questions or concerns during your car accident lawsuit, and we’ll respond promptly.
- Our firm takes these cases on a contingency basis, so you never have to worry about paying our fees until you receive compensation.
Having dealt with insurance companies and their lawyers for years, we are knowledgeable about how to negotiate fair compensation on behalf of accident victims and their families. We’re easy to find online- just Google Austin personal injury attorney near me!
What Determines the Value of a Car Accident Settlement in Austin, TX?
Settlement amounts are usually influenced by what you could be awarded if your case went before a jury. Your personal injury lawyer will review factors like the following to come up with a settlement figure.
- Injury Severity: A major or catastrophic injury in a car accident typically results in a larger settlement because it requires more medical treatment and rehabilitation. These injuries include brain injuries, spinal cord trauma, and limb amputations.
- Your Financial Losses: You can expect higher medical bills if your injuries are severe. Your car accident settlement value may also be determined by factors such as how much income you lost while recovering and whether you will be able to work again.
- Noneconomic Losses: Damages like pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life are all compensable.
- Fault: Under Texas’ comparative fault law, each party is held accountable for their share of fault in an accident. If you are partially at fault for the accident, any compensation you are entitled to will be reduced accordingly.
An experienced personal injury attorney can help you better understand the potential value of your claim and determine the best legal strategy to maximize your settlement.
What Damages Are Available in Austin Car Accident Settlements?
When someone else’s negligence or recklessness causes your car accident and injuries, Texas law recognizes your right to receive compensation for both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages refer to any type of financial loss you’ve suffered in an accident. For instance, if you’ve been seriously injured your economic losses might include:
- Medical bills
- Prescription medication
- Rehabilitative therapies
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning ability
- Property damage
Receipts and bills can serve as evidence of economic damage. Your future damages will be determined by evidence like medical reports for your prognosis and wage projections for your industry.
In contrast to economic damages, non-economic losses are more abstract and subjective. Their value is neither inherent nor easily identifiable. In an auto accident, non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Decreased quality of life
- Loss of consortium
If necessary, your attorney will work with experts to determine the value of your noneconomic damages. A formula or computer program is typically used to calculate damages, then multiply them by factors specific to each case.
You may also receive punitive damages if your case proceeds to court instead of being settled. These damages are reserved for cases in which the defendant has engaged in egregious or outrageous negligence or wrongdoing. Examples include drunk driving or violent acts of road rage. Although Texas caps punitive damages at the greater of $200,000 or twice the amount of your non-economic damages, they can greatly increase your total award.
Do I Need an Austin Car Accident Lawyer?
Legally, no. But working with a personal injury lawyer is the best way to ensure you get the money you need to treat your injuries and meet your financial obligations. Without representation, you’re most likely to settle for less.
Car accident victims often make the mistake of accepting the first settlement they receive from the insurance company. In most cases, this lowball offer is unlikely to cover all your needs. Your losses may not be fully realized for several months: depending on the severity of your injuries, you may require ongoing treatment and even modifications to your home. Those injury-related expenses may not be recoverable if you settle too soon.
A personal injury lawyer will use their resources and experience to determine your future medical and financial needs and make sure they are included in your claim.
How Long Does It Take to Settle a Car Accident Claim?
Settling a car accident case in Texas can take anywhere from a couple of months to several years. Claim settlement timelines can be affected by factors that include:
- Your Injuries: When there are significant injuries, it will sometimes take additional time to evaluate the long-term consequences of the accident.
- The Evidence: Negotiating a settlement becomes more challenging if there is no strong evidence of who was at fault. Your lawyer will have to hire experts to examine the scene of the collision, the automobiles involved, and other variables in order to assess and establish liability.
- Compensation Sought: If your settlement demand is high and the insurance company does not believe that your injuries warrant it, they’re likely to resist it. Insurers will do whatever they can to reduce risk and payouts, such as stalling, rejecting the demand amount, and requesting more evidence.
Your attorney is the final factor. Car accident injury cases, especially those involving severe injuries, require the expertise and guidance of an experienced personal injury attorney. At the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, we know how to expedite your injury claim so that you receive the best settlement possible in the shortest time frame.
Get a Free Consultation With an Austin Car Accident Attorney
Victims and their families may face significant medical expenses and other damages after car accidents. These financial burdens are made even more difficult when you can’t work to cover them or even meet your necessary living expenses.
An experienced Austin accident lawyer at the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, can help you evaluate your losses and determine what your injury claim is worth. Our team will do all that we can to support you – from ensuring that you get the medical care you need to collecting evidence and securing maximum compensation. To schedule your free consultation with a Texas car accident lawyer, call (512) 800-0000 or contact us online.