A spinal cord injury can affect every aspect of your life. In addition to the physical and emotional pain from the accident, you’re coping with the impact on your daily life and well-being. These catastrophic injuries can also be extremely expensive to treat, with medical care and rehabilitation costs alone running into the hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.
At the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, our Austin spinal cord injury lawyers will advocate for you and your family during this difficult time. We will manage your case promptly and effectively, work with top medical professionals to secure a fair value for your claim, and guide you through the legal process with commitment and compassion. When your life changes so drastically because someone else was negligent, the only outcome we’ll accept is full and fair compensation.
Why Hire Us For Your Spinal Cord Injury Claim in Austin?
Injuries to the spine can change your life as you know it. This is why selecting the right legal representation is so critical. Since these cases typically involve a lot of money, insurers are rarely willing to offer maximum compensation, and they have expensive legal teams to back them up. You deserve an equally skilled and committed advocate.
When you hire the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, you benefit from the following advantages:
- Solid Knowledge of Spinal Cord Injury Cases: Our law firm has handled several spinal cord injury cases, so we understand the legal nuances involved. We’re ready for any challenge that the at-fault party and their counsel might try to throw your way.
- Strong Success Record: Our track record speaks volumes about our commitment to helping clients get fair compensation for spinal cord injuries. We approach every case with dedication and determination to secure the best possible results.
- Compassionate Approach: At the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, we acknowledge the emotional and physical toll of spinal cord injuries. Our client-centric approach ensures that you receive the empathetic support you need while we work tirelessly on your behalf.
- Negotiation and Litigation Experience: Whether through skillful negotiation or aggressive litigation, we know how to protect your rights. Our team has a strong history of reaching favorable settlements but we’re also ready to take your case to court if it maximizes your compensation.
By choosing the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, you’re not just hiring attorneys—you’re gaining a legal team committed to fighting for you and your family. Your well-being and your future are our top priorities and we’re here to stand with you every step of the way.
Understanding Spinal Cord Injuries
The spinal cord serves as a vital communication pathway between the brain and the rest of the body. Encased within the vertebral column, it consists of nerves that transmit sensory and motor signals. The spinal cord’s role in bodily functions underscores its significance.
Spinal cord injuries are categorized based on their severity and the regions of the spine affected. Incomplete injuries involve partial damage to the spinal cord, with the victim retaining some sensory or motor function. Complete injuries result in a total loss of function below the injury site. Severity is often classified by the ASIA Impairment Scale, ranging from A (complete injury) to E (normal function).
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can occur due to various factors, with preventable accidents being a leading cause.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Motor vehicle accidents, including car crashes, motorcycle collisions, and pedestrian accidents, are among the primary causes of spinal cord injuries. The abrupt impact and forceful nature of these accidents can lead to fractures or dislocations of the vertebral column, causing damage to the spinal cord.
- Falls: Falls are another significant contributor to spinal cord injuries, especially among the elderly. Slip and fall accidents, falls from heights, and accidents on uneven surfaces can result in vertebrae compression, fractures, or dislocations.
- Workplace Accidents: Certain professions involve inherent risks that can lead to spinal cord injuries. Construction site accidents, industrial mishaps, and heavy equipment malfunctions can result in falling objects, machinery accidents, or falls from heights, all of which may cause serious spinal cord trauma.
- Bicycle Accidents: Collisions with vehicles, pedestrians, or other cyclists can lead to spinal cord injuries. The lack of external protection for cyclists increases their vulnerability to direct impacts that can result in vertebral fractures or spinal cord damage.
How Can an Austin Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Help?
If you’ve sustained a spinal cord injury as a result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, an Austin spinal cord injury lawyer can provide critical assistance.
- Legal Expertise: Spinal cord injury cases can be complicated, involving medical, legal, and insurance-related aspects. A personal injury lawyer has the knowledge and experience to ensure that your rights are protected and your case is properly handled.
- Case Investigation: A skilled lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation to determine liability. They will gather evidence, interview witnesses, review medical records, and consult with experts to establish a strong case demonstrating that someone else’s negligence or misconduct led to your spinal cord injury.
- Damage Calculation: A spinal cord injury can lead to various damages, including medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of future earning capacity. An experienced lawyer can accurately assess your damages to ensure you seek adequate compensation for all your losses.
- Negotiation with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies often aim to settle claims for as little as possible. Your lawyer will handle negotiations on your behalf, leveraging their legal knowledge to ensure you receive a fair and just settlement that covers your present and future needs.
- Case Filing and Documentation: Legal paperwork and documentation can be overwhelming, especially when dealing with a serious injury. Your lawyer will handle all the necessary paperwork, ensuring deadlines are met and forms are properly filled out.
- Access to Medical Experts: An Austin spinal cord injury lawyer will have connections to medical experts who can explain the extent of your injuries, the required medical treatment, and the long-term impact on your life. This expert testimony can be crucial in strengthening your case.
Ultimately, the goal of an Austin spinal cord injury lawyer is to help you secure the maximum compensation possible for your injuries. They will fight tirelessly to ensure your rights are upheld and that you receive the financial support needed to cover medical costs, rehabilitation, and ongoing care.
How Much is My Spinal Cord Injury Claim Worth?
The exact value of a spinal cord injury claim is influenced by a combination of economic and non-economic factors. Here are some key factors that go into a value determination:
- Medical Expenses: The cost of medical treatment, including surgeries, hospital stays, rehabilitation, medications, medical devices, and ongoing therapy, is a significant factor. This includes both past medical expenses and estimated future medical costs related to the injury.
- Lost Wages and Future Earnings: If your injury has resulted in missed work and loss of income, this will be factored into the claim. Additionally, if the injury has diminished your ability to earn income in the future due to disability or reduced earning capacity, this will also be considered.
- Pain and Suffering: This non-economic factor seeks to compensate you for the physical and emotional pain, discomfort, and suffering caused by the injury. Since pain is subjective, it can be challenging to quantify, but it’s an important aspect of the overall claim.
- Emotional Distress and Mental Anguish: Spinal cord injuries can have a significant impact on mental well-being. Emotional distress, anxiety, depression, and other psychological effects are taken into account when assessing the value of the claim.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: If the injury has resulted in a reduced ability to engage in activities you once enjoyed, this loss is considered when determining compensation. This could include hobbies, social interactions, and overall quality of life.
- Permanent Disability and Impairment: The extent of your permanent disability or impairment will play a crucial role. The severity of the injury, the impact on your mobility and daily life, and the degree of functional loss all influence the claim’s value.
- Cost of Assistive Devices and Home Modifications: If you require assistive devices (wheelchairs, mobility aids, etc.) and modifications to your home to accommodate your new needs, these costs are factored into the claim.
- Life Care Costs: The ongoing care and assistance you require due to the injury, such as home health care, personal care attendants, and therapy, are considered. This often involves estimating the costs over the long term.
- Comparative Fault: If your own actions contributed to the injury, the principle of comparative fault might apply. In such cases, your compensation could be reduced based on the degree to which you were responsible.
It’s important to note that every case is different and the value of a claim can vary widely. Consulting with an Austin spinal cord injury lawyer who understands these factors and their interactions is crucial for obtaining an accurate estimate of your claim’s value and ensuring you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
How Long Will It Take My Case to Settle?
The time it takes for a spinal cord injury case to settle can vary widely. While some cases may be resolved relatively quickly, others might take much longer due to circumstances unique to each case. Here are the key factors that can impact the length of time it takes for a case to settle:
- Severity and Complexity of the Injury: The more severe and complex the spinal cord injury is, the longer it might take to accurately assess the full extent of the damages and the required medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Medical Treatment and Recovery: The duration of medical treatment and the time required for recovery significantly influence the case’s timeline. It’s generally advisable to wait until the full scope of medical treatment and the long-term impact of the injury are better understood before pursuing a settlement.
- Negotiations with Insurance Companies: Negotiations with insurance companies can take time, especially if they are hesitant to offer a fair settlement. The back-and-forth process of negotiation may extend the timeline.
- Liability and Dispute: If there is a dispute over liability or the responsible party, it can delay the settlement process as investigations are conducted to establish fault.
Considering these variables, it’s difficult to predict a specific settlement timeframe. However, working with an experienced spinal cord injury lawyer can help expedite the process while helping ensure that your rights are protected and you receive fair compensation.
How Much Does an Austin Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Cost?
Most personal injury lawyers, including those who handle spinal cord injury cases, work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you don’t pay any upfront fees or hourly rates. Instead, your lawyer’s fee is contingent upon the outcome of the case. If they successfully secure a settlement or verdict on your behalf, they will take a percentage of the recovered amount as their fee. If they don’t win your case, you typically don’t owe them any fees.
It’s important to research and choose a well-qualified and experienced spinal cord injury lawyer who is committed to your best interests. Remember that while the fees might seem significant, hiring a skilled lawyer can significantly increase your chances of securing fair compensation for your spinal cord injury. Always ask questions and ensure you have a clear understanding of the financial arrangements before moving forward with legal representation.
Get a Free Consultation From an Austin Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Today
A spinal cord injury is a life-altering event that can have profound and ongoing consequences. At the Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS, our Austin spinal cord injury lawyers understand the personal and financial challenges that lie ahead and will fight for the compensation you need to meet them. We offer a combination of solid knowledge, a strong success record, a compassionate approach, and negotiation and litigation experience. To schedule a free initial consultation, call (512) 800-0000 or contact us online today.