The pandemic had a disturbing effect on traffic accident statistics in Texas. 2020 saw an increase in speed and use of intoxicating substances while driving, resulting in an upswing in traffic accidents and fatalities across Texas.
In 2020 Texas saw the number of traffic accidents resulting in fatalities increase. In 2019, 3,623 people were killed in Texas car crashes. In 2020, that number rose to 3,893. This is despite a decrease in traffic volume for several months of 2020.
During the first five months of 2021, 1,636 people have died on Texas roads and highways. Speed and lack of wearing seatbelts were significant contributors to the death toll. Says Bob Colwell of the Texas Department of Transportation’s Bryan District, “Even though we’ve come out of a year during a pandemic, we actually have seen an increase in the number of deaths on our Texas roadways. You would think that they would be lower with more people staying at home, but that was not the case.”
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident in the Austin area, it is important to contact a car accidents attorneys in Austin as soon as possible.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, based on reportable crashes in 2020:
- One person was killed every 2 hours 15 minutes;
- One person was injured every 2 minutes 34 seconds; and
- One reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
The Fatality Rate on Texas roadways for 2020 was 1.33 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled. This is a 5.66% increase from 2020. There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2020.
Texas Department of Transportation Driver Safety Tips
With the increase in dangerous conditions on Texas roadways, the best defense is a good offense. The Texas Department of Transportation’s Safety Campaign asks all Texas drivers to:
- Do their part to be safe and drive smart; and
- Practice patience and share the road with others; as
- The life you save could be your own.
They offer the public the following safety tips for use while driving:
- Always buckle up – drivers and all riders, day and night;
- Be courteous to others on the road;
- Drive a safe speed for traffic, weather, and road conditions;
- Put your phone away and focus 100 percent on driving;
- Stop for all stop signs and red lights;
- Use extra caution when driving at night or in bad weather;
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists when turning at crosswalks;
- Slow down in school zones and work zones;
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk;
- If you’re too drowsy to drive, pull over safely and take a rest; and
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Attorney
If you were injured in a Texas car accident, contact the experienced San Antonio and Austin personal injury attorneys at Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS. Even a minor car accident can result in injuries that linger a lifetime. Our car accident attorneys can maximize your accident settlement to ensure your medical bills, property damage, and associated losses are reimbursed.
Contact Villarreal & Begum, LAW GUNS online or by phone today to schedule your complimentary consultation with a skilled attorney. Do not miss your opportunity to file a personal injury lawsuit. The deadline for filing in Texas is two years from the date of your injury.